Travel to Greece
With famous white-washed buildings with blue-domed roofs, white sands and turquoise waters, ancient architecture and breath-taking scenery, the Ancient Greeks not only created the modern world but also keeps many human remain civilisation. If you are history buffs , there can be no greater holiday destination for you to meander through ancient centuries monuments, follow in the footsteps of Caesar and Cleopatra or see sites from ancient civilizations. Here are the top ancient monuments in Greek to help you decide.
1. Acropolis – Probably the most famous landmark in Greece, the Acropolis was built about 2,500 years ago and has become a symbol of Athens. The Acropolis is made up of several temples. The most famous temple, as well as the largest Doric Temple, is the Parthenon which was dedicated to the Greek Goddess, Athena. Among other sights that visitors can see at this UNESCO World Heritage Site are the Temple of Athena Nike and the Acropolis Museum.
2. Temple of Olympian Zeus – Construction of this colossal temple started somewhere in the 6th century BC and was completed 638 years later. Out of the original 104 columns, 15 still stand today (with Corinthian capitals) with one (the 16th) lying in pieces from a storm in 1852. The columns of this Greco-Roman Temple measure 17 meters in length.
3. Arch of Hadrian – Made of Pentelic Marble, it is believed that the Arch was built to celebrate the arrival of Emperor Hadrian who made many charitable donations to the city of Athens. There is no mortar or cement in the construction of the Arch. Instead, the stones are held together with clamps. It stands 18 meters high and was built around 131 AD.
4. Theatre of Dionysus – Built somewhere around 600 BC, this outdoor theatre is located within the Acropolis and seats 20,000 people. It is the oldest theatre in Greece and honors the Dionysus; God of wine and fertility as well as a patron of drama.
5. Delphi Ruins – Considered one of the most significant relics of Greece, settlements have been discovered at the Delphi Ruins that date back to the Neolithic Era. Visitors to the site can see the Temple of Apollo, the Sanctuary of Athena and the Delphi Ruins Archeological Museum. Other sites to consider on Greek Islands holidays include the Meteora, the ruins in Ancient Mycenae, the Dirou Caves and Mount Olympus.
Cornelius Marsh is an independent travel writer who loves exploring the world. At the moment he can’t get enough of the Mediterranean. Based in London he is never happier than on Greek Islands holidays. He is attempting to visit every one of the Greek Islands.
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.